Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Culture? no not that yogurt shit

what is the malaysian culture? right now, being a malaysian, ive always wondered, what is 'our' culture... let me put it in a scenario aite... say a malay guy comes to me and ask me what is our culture, my response would simply be, well we drink sirap, we celebrate raya, we salam cium tangan and all that jazz, but if a chinese or indian guy comes up to me and ask me this simple question, i'd be puzzled for a few seconds or so...

now, after spending a few days just thinking about it, the answer couldnt be simpler. see the trouble arises when we mix our culture and our traditions and or adat(morals in a traditional sense) culture is how we lead our everydaylife, whereas traditions is our guidelines. now to the sense-making... our culture is simply how all of us, interact interacially, like hanging about at mamak stalls, thats our culture, playing pool with our buddies, thats our culture, watching football matches that takes place outside of our country together, that is OUR culture.

basically culture is everchanging, and tradiotion will be in our lives for eons to come, yes they run together like perfectly matching caligraphy lines but they are parallel, they do not intertwine and such.

i dont know why im posting this anyway, i thought my blog could use an intelligence boost....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home